Welcome to TechWhirl Forums

Sign in or Register to get involved in our discussions.

Being Bilingual Helps: ESL, Localization and Technical Communication

TechWhirl WebsiteTechWhirl Website United StatesPosts: 396 admin
edited September 2013 via Wordpress in Content Management
imageBeing Bilingual Helps: ESL, Localization and Technical Communication

"'Following your privies e-mail,' is 'privies' the correct word?" Questions like these are pretty common in ESL (English as a Second Language) environments, where you are one of the few, and possibly the only native English speaker in a team, department, or even the entire company. Working in an environment where everyone else is communicating in a strange language (i.e. not English) poses several challenges, especially during this age of globalization.

Read the full story here

Comments

• John MelendezJohn Melendez Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    And while you're at it... Recognize that your skills as a polyglot are valuable. Position yourself not only to take the advice as described in Yehoshua's article, but ask for a raise every now and then. Be sure to tout your language skills and cultural expertise. If your praise falls on deaf ears, then find another employer who will appreciate you!

I have worked overseas (in China) as a technical writer because I know how to speak, read , and write Chinese. It brought me years of rich experience, and let me travel the world on the company dime.

Read more in my article about how knowing a foreign language can put you ahead of the rest:

http://voices.yahoo.com/learn-foreign-language-further-6469964.html

- John