Welcome to TechWhirl Forums

Sign in or Register to get involved in our discussions.

Freelancing: Are You Ready to Make the Leap?

TechWhirl WebsiteTechWhirl Website United StatesPosts: 396 admin
edited September 2013 via Wordpress in Technical Writing and Communications
imageFreelancing: Are You Ready to Make the Leap?

Back when I was taking my technical writing certificate at Seneca College in Toronto, one of my professors spent three hours chatting with us about what it’s like being a freelance technical writer. She laughed a lot about the highs and lows, but a few things she said jolted me out of my assumptions and made me sit up and pay attention. One of them was that she would take literally any job that had anything remotely to do with editing, writing, or teaching. Or websites. Or technology. Or people. Or extreme ironing. Let me share what else I’ve learned as I’ve transitioned from student to full-time employee to part-time consultant to full-time consultant over the last eight years, while balancing three houses, two cities, one wedding, and two kids.

Read the full story here

Comments

• CraigCraig Posts: 8 ✭✭
    via Wordpress
    Excellent article, Jacquie. Wow. Great stuff. Thank you.
  • JenniferJennifer Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Thanks for such a detailed, thought-out article, Jacquie! You included information that I had not yet considered, and I appreciate both the extra knowledge and the comfort in knowing I'm not alone with the things I worry about! :)
  • Jacquie SamuelsJacquie Samuels CanadaPosts: 38
    via Wordpress
    Thanks Craig!
    via Wordpress
    Thanks Jennifer. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    via Wordpress
    As a quick addendum: If you are currently employed and you plan on leaving to freelance, check into your corporate health insurance policy. You may be able to port it to a private plan. If you do this before you leave, you can save up to 50% of what it would cost to set it up after you leave.