Welcome to TechWhirl Forums

Sign in or Register to get involved in our discussions.

E-Book Formats

TechWhirl WebsiteTechWhirl Website United StatesPosts: 396 admin
edited September 2013 via Wordpress in Content Management
imageE-Book Formats

Most technical writers understand online help formats and have worked with at least one over the years. Help file format have evolved from man pages (manual pages in UNIX in the early 1970’s) and HLP files through CHM files and the plethora of HTML-based formats that we have now. E-Book formats are similar in many respects to the common online help formats, but with one crucial difference; they’re designed to work on the small screens of today’s e-readers and tablets.

Read the full story here

Comments

• via Wordpress
    I’d like to see a format that supports both printing and e-reader formats. The benefit would be that the publisher only produces a single format that can be used on large screens, tablets, and printed consistently. I think PDF is the already the closest to making this a reality. A little meta-data and it’s good to go.
  • Bob PlantzBob Plantz Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    According to OPS 2.0.1 v1.0.1, 2.5.1, SVG is already supported in EPUB, except no interactive content.

I'm currently converting my assembly language textbook (now in LaTeX/PDF) to EPUB. Lots of vector graphics, math equations, and code listings. I'm using restructuredtext for my primary source. Very interesting project. Gives me something to do in my retirement.