Welcome to TechWhirl Forums

Sign in or Register to get involved in our discussions.

how to emphasize space between characters

In the example below, take note of the space that appears after 5 and before V (also, no spaces in-between C and 1). How do I guide the users to follow the naming convention? How do I place emphasis on this? Please help. Thank you.

Project Description field: ABC-12345 - Vendor Name

Comments

• smajorssmajors United StatesPosts: 20
    Is this text within a procedure? Can you place some type of notice below like an important note and call out where the spaces should be?
  • madamemooisellemadamemooiselle United StatesPosts: 4
    yes, this text is within a procedure. what the user needs to do is follow the exact formatting. i had the same idea of placing a callout before typing the text but thought about reaching out to other tech writers who can provide suggestions.

thank you for providing feedback. 
  • tkistertkister Posts: 4
    It's an awkward format, which is going to make it difficult to enforce. It's awkward because the spacing seems inconsistent – you have two hyphens that are treated differently. Rather than spending a lot of time getting people to follow this naming convention, you could revise the naming convention so it's a little less confusing. For example, "ABC-12345-Vendor Name" (no spaces) or "ABC-12345 – Vendor Name" (en dash before "Vendor Name," instead of a second hyphen).

If changing the naming convention is not possible, then I'd use a graphic to emphasize the details of what the correct convention entails.