Welcome to TechWhirl Forums

Sign in or Register to get involved in our discussions.

help a lowly student out: tech writer interview

Hello Everyone!

I am currently enrolled in a technical writing class, and my first assignment is to interview a technical writer about a few basic job-related things. I have pasted my questions below if anyone would be so wonderful as to actually email me ([email protected]) with their answers. Feel free to skip any questions if they're too probing.

Thank you kindly!

Job Title:
Company:
Length of time at current job:
Length of time as technical writer:
Educational background:

What drew you to technical writing?

What are some of your favorite things about your job?

What are some of your least favorite or more challenging things about your job?

What is a typical work day like for you?

Do you ever freelance or work from home?

Are you able to strike a good work/life balance? When is your job most stressful?

Do you see yourself advancing to other positions at any point? Are there opportunities for this within your company?

What tools do you use as part of your job? Have you received any specialized training?

What advice would you give to aspiring technical writers?

Comments

• jayman6366jayman6366 United StatesPosts: 2
    Job Title: senior tech writer
    Company: Gulfstream Aerospace
    Length of time at current job: 20 yrs
    Length of time as technical writer: 20 yrs
    Educational background: 10 years of varied aircraft maintenance, some college. Actually finishing my degree in May.

What drew you to technical writing? It seemed interesting. I had used the manuals that I now write.

What are some of your favorite things about your job? Good hours, quiet, changes day-to-day, cool technology

What are some of your least favorite or more challenging things about your job? Pretty much everything is accessible through computers these days, so too much desk time.

What is a typical work day like for you? Lots of digging through engineering documents, CATIA models to find information. Use info to create maintenance procedures and illustrations.

Do you ever freelance or work from home? Thought about it years ago, but no.

Are you able to strike a good work/life balance? When is your job most stressful? Job is pretty laid back. I'm fortunate enough to work four 10-hour days so the 3-day weekends are nice.

Do you see yourself advancing to other positions at any point? Are there opportunities for this within your company? Opportunities are out there but advancement is pretty tough.

What tools do you use as part of your job? Have you received any specialized training? Mostly OJT. Use an XML editing program, CATIA, basic Microsoft programs.

What advice would you give to aspiring technical writers? Tech writing has been good to me. Digging through engineering documents to find stuff may not sound exciting, but it really is pretty interesting work.

• credo77credo77 United StatesPosts: 2
    I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I had lost hope on getting responses. Thank you so much! I am quite pleased that you seem to enjoy your job so much, too!