Welcome to TechWhirl Forums

Sign in or Register to get involved in our discussions.

Advice needed -- no writing samples

I have worked for some eight years as a technical writer. In much of the work I've done, I was working for a federal government contractor and I was not allowed to keep any of my writing.
So I now find myself with no writing samples. (I do have strong abilities, however.)
Does anyone have any ideas about how I can apply for jobs without having any writing samples?
Tagged:

Comments

• SundarNSundarN Posts: 3
    Hello Ned,

I have faced this situation myself. To overcome the same, I contribute to a blog on technical writing regularly. I try to write about technical writing in a way that helps someone as well as showcase my knowledge and skills. 

The other thing that you might consider doing is taking some time out to contribute documentation to any of the open source projects that you may like or use. You can then show that as your writing samples. 

Hope this helps. 

Regards,
    Sundar
  • Great piece of information, thanks! I did enjoy your article.. For anyone working in the localization industry or interested about this field, I recommend this website with good resources, studies, fresh news and anything else related with L10N.
  • SimpalmSimpalm Posts: 1
    Nice post. Thanks for sharing such a informative post. We learn a lot from such topics. keep posting like this.
    Source: Simpalm.com